The full Government list has now been published and I note that no fewer than ten Ministers are not drawing a salary. I think this must be a record.
Presumably, some Ministers are sufficiently wealthy that they regard the Ministerial stipends on offer as just not worth bothering about – although there are clearly others who despite being very well off have decided to take the money.
It would be interesting to know whether any of those declining a salary have been given any exemptions from the usual rules about holding other external appointments whilst serving as a Minister.
For the record the unpaid ten are:
- Lord Howell of Guildford – Foreign Office
- Lord Freud – Department of Work and Pensions
- Lord Marland – Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Baroness Warsi – Minister without Portfolio
- David Heath MP – Deputy Leader of the House of Commons*
- Brooks Newmark MP – Whip
- Philip Dunne MP – Whip
- Baroness Northover – Whip*
- Lord Taylor of Holbeach – Whip
- Lord Wallace of Saltaire – Whip*
The three marked with an * are LibDems.